- Subject to the provisions of this Chapter, any Magistrate of the first class, and any Magistrate of the second class specially empowered in this behalf under Sub-Section (2), may take cognizance of any offence—
- upon receiving a complaint of facts which constitute such offence;
- upon a police report of such facts;
- upon information received from any person other than a police officer, or upon his own knowledge, that such offence has been committed.
- The Chief Judicial Magistrate may empower any Magistrate of the second class to take cognizance under Sub-Section (1) of such offences as are within his competence to inquire into or try.